What to do in a fire
If your smoke detector goes off, you smell smoke or you see a fire in a building, take the following steps:
- Remain calm and get out.
- Drop to the floor to avoid smoke and fumes. Crawl to safety.
- If you see smoke under the door, find another way out.
- Feel the door with the back of your hand before you open it. If it is hot, find another exit.
- If your clothes catch on fire, STOP where you are, DROP to the ground, and ROLL over and over to smother the flames.
- Call 111 from a safe location.
- If you are trapped in a burning building, stay near a window and close to the floor.
- If possible, signal for help.
In the event of a rural fire
- Call for help sooner rather than later, it will only get worse not better!
- Call 111
- Provide accurate details of your location
- If your location is difficult to find station someone at entrance to property to meet fire appliances.